registering a bolt on coversion

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
coljol

registering a bolt on coversion

Post by coljol »

Hya guys was wondering if somebody can help me on here.Ive built a trike out of a Yamaha 900 divi everything on it is bolt on nothing is welded to the original frame.Ive heard so many different storys on how to register it as a trike its unreal.Do I need an sva test from vosa for this type of conversion? Please help going nuts here. Coljol
zakboy
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by zakboy »

bolton,s do not require msva just a dvla inspection
Give me the strength in life to except the things i can not change
NUTJOB

Post by NUTJOB »

Have a look here:
viewtopic.php?t=8415
I have enough money to last me the rest of my life.
(unless I buy something) :loco:
beardyman13

Post by beardyman13 »

its a piece of p#ss mate you will need a weight certificate from ur local public weighbridge costs a few quid then an mot then you book an inspection with the dvla all mine did was check the frame an engine numbers made sure it bolted on an wasnt welded then took me paperwork an then you just wait for your new logbook an tax disc simples :respek:
coljol

Post by coljol »

Thanks guys for your replys was having a right game with all this even the bird at the dvla office didn't no what she was on about.Also do i need to get it insured before i take it for the inspection is there any relavant forms i need.And do i need receipts for parts ive bought ie Axle and tube.
beardyman13

Post by beardyman13 »

You can't insure it until its been inspected an had the log book changed also you need to trailer it there as well, regarding forms an receipts I'm not sure I think that only counts for full builds but I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong :)
big nasty

Post by big nasty »

beardyman13 wrote:You can't insure it until its been inspected an had the log book changed also you need to trailer it there as well, regarding forms an receipts I'm not sure I think that only counts for full builds but I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong :)
ye cant pay for the tax disc until the trike is insured............. i read on here that to register a bolt on ye had to .
weigh the trike
mot it
insure it
then get the sva done................... :respek:
zakboy

Post by zakboy »

HOW TO REGESTER YOUR TRIKE WITH DVLA
AND BOOK AN INSPECTION APPOINTMENT

Regestering your trike need not be a nightmare,. i can only go by my own expeareance with my own local dvla office, the way local offices do things may differ in other area's

ok you do not have to wait till you have finished your trike if it is still taxed or mot or both as a bike to start the prosses once the swingarm is on along with the springs and axle and wheels you are ready, this inspection is nothing to do with road worthyness so dont worry about mudguards, lights, brakes, propshaft pipes or if the engine runs or not etc

make sure that the frame number on the bike match's that on the reg document if it dont you may be opening a can of worms and may have an inspection based on a points system and may land up on a Q plate

the inspection is to establish that the trike is what you say it is a bolton convertion with nothing cut from the original frame or added to by welding direct to the original frame.

ok you are thinking about starting the registration prosses first you need the reg doc in your name when you have this open the reg doc and in section 7 where it says at the begining of this section (wheel plan/ body type) wright the words (Three wheel tricycle) and nothing else,

ok once you have filled in sec 7 of your reg doc if your trike has no mot or tax left on it as a bike first take it for mot, once you have your mot certificate take the trike to a weigh bridge and get it weighed it as to be a printed weight certificate not hand written, once you have this get it insured you are now ready to take your paper work off to your local dvla office, add to your paper work three color pictures of your trike
List of paper work to take with you

1/reg document with sec 7 filled

2/mot certificate

3/weight certificate

4/3 color pics of trike

5/ insurance certificate

just to point out hear that if your trike has tax remaining on it as a bike as i said before you can get an inspection before the trike is finished,they will give you a new tax disc for whats remains left to run of what was the bike tax, the new disc will be issued with tricycle printed on instead of motorcycle, if you take your trike before it is finished you still take the same paper work with you to your local office as with a finished trike.

if your paper work is all in order your local office will usaly get the inspection diary and give you a date day and time for your inspection there and then......... with your mot and insurance you can tax the trike as a trike while you are there, you do not have to wait untill you have had the inspection to tax the trike as a trike.

on the day of the inspection it should just be a formality, if it is what you say it is a bolton convertion with nothing cut from the original fame and nothing welded directly to the original fame it will get a pass,

if you have cut any thing from the original frame, or welded any thing directly to the original frame you will be told the trike will need an MSVA at vosa

inspection takes a few min's...... and at the momment is free

you do not have to wait untill the inspection is done before you can ride your trike because this is not a type approval inspection as long as it is moted taxed and insured your insurance is valid (well with bike sure it is) if it was a type aproval msva bikesure will not cover you till it as been type aproved but its best to check with who ever you are insured with.
the trike will also all ready be on the database as a trike before it is on the log book as the mot tester will automaticly do that at the time of its mot
Give me the strength in life to except the things i can not change
blitzman5

Post by blitzman5 »

Bloody hell Zac a master builder and a source of lawful information on our beloved toys :niceone::respek::respek:
geoffnewblue

Post by geoffnewblue »

I insured 35 on the Vin number when I was awaiting for inspection so I could get it all done