New Tyres

Help needed & advice given..try here
CyprusTrike
Moved in and now we can't get rid

New Tyres

Post by CyprusTrike »

Looking at changing rear tyres on friends trike. At present they are low profile 345's and intend to change to normal 295's. The reason is trying to find replacement 345's low profile seems impossible here and away from here very expensive.
My question is, this will raise the rear of the trike by some 4cm and I want to know is this going to affect the steering / stability of the trike i.e would I have to look at the rake on the front forks?
Any help / advice much appreciated.
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Re: New Tyres

Post by Andy from Sandy »

What has the trike got now for rake and trail?

You could raise the rear by the amount and measure what you will get for a comparison.

The answer is potentially yes it will have an effect. How much only you will know when you are done. If it is marginal now and could use more rake then this will make things worse.

You might be able to find some clever chap who has posted about your trike that can offer some help.
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

You don't say whether it's a VW trike or something else? I put adjustable shocks on my VW trike & it raised it about 2" but had no effect on the steering.
The older i get the earlier it seems to get late.
CyprusTrike

Post by CyprusTrike »

gorbee01279 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:20 pm You don't say whether it's a VW trike or something else? I put adjustable shocks on my VW trike & it raised it about 2" but had no effect on the steering.
Thanks
It is a VW Trike, WK Highway, I think is was custom built for the original owner as to get to anything you have to remove the whole bodywork, even if you need to jump start. I am looking at modifying that for her as well but will try new tyres first, when I can get them.
CyprusTrike

Post by CyprusTrike »

Andy from Sandy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:47 am What has the trike got now for rake and trail?

You could raise the rear by the amount and measure what you will get for a comparison.

The answer is potentially yes it will have an effect. How much only you will know when you are done. If it is marginal now and could use more rake then this will make things worse.

You might be able to find some clever chap who has posted about your trike that can offer some help.
Thanks

Will have a check
Doc.

New Tyres

Post by Doc. »

I would say 40mm is nothing given the length of the Trike, I'd be very surprised if it makes any noticeable difference to the Steering Geometry.

I dropped the Front of my Guzzi Stelvio (half the length of a VW Trike?) by more than that, and it's still stable.
CyprusTrike

Post by CyprusTrike »

Doc. wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:49 pm I would say 40mm is nothing given the length of the Trike, I'd be very surprised if it makes any noticeable difference to the Steering Geometry.

I dropped the Front of my Guzzi Stelvio (half the length of a VW Trike?) by more than that, and it's still stable.
Cheers doc