identify reverse gear unit

Help needed & advice given..try here
johnD

identify reverse gear unit

Post by johnD »

Hi all.
Just picked up an fjr1300 trike, nice build and comes with a reverse gear unit mounted on the back axle. Trouble is, it is very difficult to re engage forward gear after putting into reverse.
Need some info on the unit as to manufacture or possible cause of the baulking.
Can't find anything online, dosen't look homemade, if it is, its a work of art!
Anyone shed any light?
Cheers.
20230703_122412.jpg
20230703_122401.jpg
20230703_122350.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Re: identify reverse gear unit

Post by ratwing »

If it goes into first but doesn't go forwards then it sounds like adjustment (or maybe wear), does it disengage reverse/engage forward properly if you use a tyre lever or screwdriver to move the splined bit across as far as it'll go when you move the reverse lever?
Maybe there's grit in the grease preventing it moving like it should?
johnD

Post by johnD »

Hi ratwing, thanks for the reply. Maybe I should clearify a little.
The sliding mechanism is operated by a 'shift fork' very much like that in a gearbox. This is operated by a bar on a lever at the right hand side of the chasis. (You can see the bar to the right of the oblong alloy box).
This moves the reversing cylinder over to the cogs on the right of the unit. That engages reverse but I'm not sure what the inner working of the unit can be. It engages reverse quite smoothly, but operating it to push back to the forward position is very hit or miss. I do agree that it seems to be 'clogged up' but I'm a bit loathe to strip the whole back axle to inspect.
It would be nice to know what, exactly, this unit is, home made or shop bought.
Cheers,
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Start off with the lever, remove the bolt where it bolts to the alloy block and check it moves free. Then check the alloy block pin to see if that's stiff to move. Then check the diff ring assembly.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke: