Noisy diff

Help needed & advice given..try here
Webber

Noisy diff

Post by Webber »

Hi folks I'm new to this site so please bear with me, I have a 1982gl godwing trike with reliant rear axle, when taking off thru the gears it pulls like a train, problem is soon as trike starts to coast or slowing down it sounds like trike is dragging a sack of spanners behind, any info would be much appreciated (summers comming)
lepchaun
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Noisy diff

Post by lepchaun »

if im right is just when u ease off on the trottle and it last about 2/3 seconds
LEP
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Reliant axles are a bit agricultural and are all a bit 'long in the tooth' now so there is backlash between the gears that only shows itself on over-run when the wheels are driving the diff. Diff's can be re-shimmed to minimise the slack (not a DIY job really) but there will always be some - it'll sound mechanical rather than a toolbox mounted on a jack hammer LOL!
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

A bit of backlash will be a clunk when going from power to overun, not like a bag of spanners. You need to have a look inside it.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Drain the oil and check it for metal bits. Some very small parts are ok like fine flakes.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
terryt
Part of the Furniture

Post by terryt »

Check the ujs on the prop shaft and the splines on the back of the engine where the shaft fits onto